Saturday, October 14, 2006

Crappy American Phones...

Me and my phone haven't been getting along lately.

It's entirely my fault - I dropped it one day, and as a result, every second line on the screen remained blank, which made it less fun to use. After a while, the screen would go completely black, and I'd have to flick the screen with my fingernail to get it to come back. I figured this was something to do with a loose connection or something, but I was happy to spend the rest of my life being mistaken for some Obsessive compulsive type who walks around in public flicking his phone.

Last night the screen went black after I received a text message. So I flicked it. But it didn't come back. So I flicked it harder. It still didn't come back. So I hit it with my knuckle. It still wouldn't work. I threw it on the ground, kicked it around, bounced it off the floor a few times, then picked it up and flicked it some more. Needless to say, it didn't work. So I hit the screen off the corner of a chair. And cracked it. Whoops.

Well, I don't want to bore you with the details of what I got up to after that point, but let me show you what finally came of this $30 phone.



The best part?

It still worked!

Kindof...

I could still dial a call, and since the mic still worked, what I was saying could be heard on the other end. I was missing an earpiece, but I was still determined to see what I could do without the upper half of the phone. The phone didn't vibrate or ring, but the error messages were audible - so there was still a speaker! What followed this discovery at four in the morning was me calling my room phone and laughing hysterically as I realised that the speakerphone function still worked! If I so wanted, I could continue using this phone for the rest of my time here! Granted, I'd have to memorise a ton of numbers, and text messages would be impossible, and the only way to tell when there was an incoming a call would be the keys lighting up, but still! It could be done!

But of course, it won't. Joanna had a spare phone, so I just transferred my account to hers. And if something should happen this one, (by 'something' - I mean if I decide to tear it in half like the last one) there's always Claire's phone that's been gathering dust since she switched to Cingular!

Landed on my feet here, eh? The only part that sucks is going around and explaining to everyone why I need to ask them for their number again... I'll be so tired of this story in a week I'm expecting to see it in highly embellished form on some other blog!

No comments: